Skip to main content

Planning & Dreaming

Planning & Dreaming, Dreaming & Planning back and forth we go. We knew the drafting of house plans would take time and we were OK with that because we wanted to do it right. We wanted to thoughtfully address all of the wants and dreams, realistic or not, but we wanted to plan for the best and for the future. Remember this house is the next several chapters for us. This is where we want to be while our kids begin their school journeys. This isn't a flip or a transition for us, we know we are going to be here for a bit and that's how we looked at it and looked at every decision.


First things first, finding an draftsman to put our dreams to paper. Our Heady Avenue house I was able to do this part since we stayed within the original house structure. This one was gonna be a full gut along with a fairly large addition. Structural engineering, roof pitches, etc needs an experienced professional. You also have to permit your plans along with inspections throughout and contractors need working drawings with specs, measurements, materials, the list goes on and on. We had a few names of referrals but one in particular still drafted by hand. Let me say that again. DRAFTED BY HAND. Yes computer generated is faster and makes easier to share and duplicate the documents but something about the amount of detail that goes into it just hits home to me. Takes me back to my college days drafting floor plans by pencil not a mouse. It also makes for great art work to showcase!


Once I told Matt we were using him no questions asked we started the process. First was taking field measurements of the house as-is. From that proposed floor plans were able to be created. I have to admit it started pretty simple "we only need a small first floor addition", "whatever is most economical structurally", "lets keep plumbing and electrical where it is so we don't have to move it" HA we were only kidding ourselves. Talking to family and friends in these trades, getting opinions of what to do quickly turned into you got to do it right and you got to do it now, not a couple years down the road and then another couple years down the road and so on. We spent a couple months in the process, I believe a total of 3 revisions of plans. Each time changes were made our draftsman went back to the drawing board. He was wonderful to work with, his ideas were creative and unique. 


Next, was selecting a contractor. We narrowed down to a few and brought them all in mid way through the drafting phase. They need to see things on paper with measurements and square footage to gauge timelines and put together budgetary numbers. It was also very helpful to Matt and I walking through these plans to see if what was on paper could be done in reality and if we could even afford it. We were able to bounce ideas off of each other, look at ways to value engineer some elements and think outside of the box we were in. From the first time I walked through the house I had an idea of what the floor plan would look like. I drew it out for Matt on paper, we did a lot of sketches on paper. It was almost like having tunnel vision so it was nice to have different perspectives. We finally settled in on what we like to call our ringer. Matt's uncle passed on a contact of who he was certain we needed to use. He came in mid way through this phase but never missed a beat. I was first to meet with him and do a walk through. I called Matt immediately and said he's our guy. 


Front Exterior Corner Lot - Before




  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#DEMODAY Phase II

Yes #demoday Phase II because like I mentioned we are basically building a new house. After the back was torn down and cleaned up a mini digger was brought in to build out our trenches where the new foundation was going to be poured. The existing slab of concrete where the breezeway and garage sat was kept since the new foot print was larger and it wasn't going to interfere (there was a small part of me that was going to miss the black & red tile floor). Also it was helpful that the team was working on that vs dirt and rock. Trenches were dug so concrete could be poured for the foundation and footers. During the design phase Matt and I went round and round on whether the new addition floor should be the same height as the existing or if we should do a sunken great room. There were benefits to each, mainly a sunken great room would allow for a higher ceiling height and potential for vaulted ceilings. We ultimately decided the entire first floor should be on the same walki...

Week 3: Demo Continues

WEEK 3: DEMO CONTINUES..... Before I can start on what took place this week I have to share a special moment that happen on Monday. So Matt and I are woke up early by our GC letting us know he is going to start on the basement gut that day. Of course this was planned to not happen until Wednesday so for me not to be present when this went down made me quite nervous. But we trust our GC and know he is making the right decisions for us. Matt and I were getting phone calls left and right about this and that all day and when I finally leave from work at the end of the day to head over to the construction zone needless to say I was stressing a little. I am looking around inspecting and see a small piece of paper just sitting on the bar in the basement among some tools and materials. I glance at it thinking it might have been another found surprise in the walls, and boy was it. I immediately asked Lonnie where he got it and answered 'in the crawl space when we ...

Week 2: Demo Begins

The framers are here! The framers are here! And boy were the fast. Lonnie and his team took two and a half days for this to happen. Never thought it would be that quick! They did a fantastic job and also learned that he has done work on a few other houses in the neighborhood. Apparently in the 50s and 60s Homerama took place here. Mud/Entry: The wall separating this room from the kitchen and dining room was removed, since it was load bearing we had to install a 14' LVL beam for the proper support. Some people do not like to have this installed when going for an open concept because your ceilings will not be one continuous plane. In our case we are leaving the parallel wall that separates the kitchen/dining and living room which is also load bearing so it is going to match up making it look as if the house was originally built that way.  Before   Before: The Beautiful Knotty Pine Room    After     After   They s...